This is a comprehensive guide of India states with capitals and union territories.
India also called Bharat hardly needs any introduction. It is the second most populous and rapidly developing country. Located in the South of Asia, it is the seventh biggest country (area-wise) in the World. Also, it is the largest democracy in the World. As of January 1, 2020, India’s population stands at a whopping 1,387,297,452 people. That constitutes 17.5% of the World’s population.
With the Great Himalayas in the north and The Indian Ocean in the south, the Arabian Sea on the west, and the Bay of Bengal in the west, the massive land of India stretches over 3,287,263 sq. km
The Republic of India comprises of 28 states and 8 union territories.
India States With Capitals
|5.||Chattisgarh||Atal Nagar (Naya Raipur)|
*Please Note: Shimla is the summer capital of Himachal Pradesh while Dharamshala is the winter capital.
Indian Union Territories
|1.||Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|3.||Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu||Daman|
|4.||Delhi (National Capital Territory)||New Delhi|
|5.||Jammu & Kashmir||Srinagar/Jammu**|
**Please Note: Srinagar is the summer capital of UT Jammu & Kashmir while Jammu is the winter capital.
Let’s know a little bit more about these India states with capitals.
- Andhra Pradesh got it’s statehood on 1st October 1950.
- Hyderabad was the initial capital of Andhra Pradesh. On 22nd October 2015, Prime Minster of India, Mr. Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of city of Amravati and this became the capital city soon after.
- Andhra Pradesh is the 7th largest state and 10th most populated state in India.
- The state has a literacy rate of 67.41% and the official spoken languages in the state are Telugu and English.
- Arunachal Pradesh got its statehood on 20th February 1987.
- The capital of the state is Itanagar, which is also the largest city in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Arunachal Pradesh is the 14th largest state area wise and the 27th most (or rather second least) populated state of India.
- The state has a literacy rate of 66.95% and the official spoken language in the state is English.